The Sixth International Forum on Linguistics and Chinese Education
Oct. 9-12, 2020, Stanford
First Call for Proposals
1. Background and Purposes 论坛背景和宗旨 The International Forum on Linguistics and Chinese Education (IFOLCE) is organized as an annual conference dedicated to exploring and promoting application of the latest linguistic research findings to the field of Teaching Chineseas a Second Language. The establishment of IFOLCE originally resulted from a joint-effort of a group of colleagues in the field from eight universities in the United States, Beijing, and Hong Kong. Debuting in 2015, the IFOLCE annual forum has been held rotationally among the five locations with each having two co-organizers. IFOLCE-1 was held at University of California at Davis (co-organizer Columbia University), IFOLCE-2 at Beijing Language and Culture University (co-organizer Peking University), IFOLCE-3 at Notre Dame University (co-organizer Princeton University), IFOLCE-4 at the Chinese University of Hong Kong (co-organizer Stanford University), and IFOLCE-5 at Columbia University (co-organizer UC-Davis). IFOLCE-6 will be held at Stanford University with two co-organizers, the Chinese Language Teachers Association of California (CLTAC) and City University of Hong Kong. It has been recognized for a long time that linguistic studies play an important role in second language teaching. Asobserved in the great tradition pioneered by Yuen Ren Chao and others, Chinese L2 teaching should be placed on a solid basis of Chinese linguistics. With such an understanding, IFOLCE is intended to serve as a premier forum, inviting scholars from around the world to exchange their latest research insights on new advances in linguistic studies to enhance our work in teaching Chinese a second language. “语言学与汉语教学国际论坛（IFOLCE）”是一个旨在提倡以坚实的语言学研究为基础促进与提升汉语二语教学的学术交流平台。论坛于 2015 年由美国、中国大陆和香港地区八所大学的有关同仁共同发起，轮流举行，每届由两所大学共同承办。2015-2019年，已分别在加州大学戴维斯分校（与哥伦比亚大学合办）、北京语言大学（与北京大学合办）、圣母大学（与普林斯顿大学合办）、香港中文大学（与斯坦福大学合办）和哥伦比亚大学（与加州大学戴维斯分校合办）成功举办五届。第六届论坛将于2020年10月在斯坦福大学举行，由斯坦福大学、加州中文教师协会与香港城市大学共同承办。 将汉语作为第二语言和外语的教学建立于扎实的语言学研究之上，将语言学的先进研究成果转化应用于汉语教学之中，是提升汉语教学水准和品质之所必需，也是以赵元任先生为代表的现代汉语语言学与汉语教学开拓者所确立的优秀传统。“语言学与汉语教学国际论坛”诚邀各国同行先进共同发扬这一传统，交流新知，分享卓见，携手推动汉语二语教学学科的不断发展。
2. Conference Plan 本届论坛计划 Organizers: Stanford University, CLTAC, City University of Hong Kong Dates: October 9-12, 2020 (tentative) Location: Stanford University (The San Francisco Bay Area, USA) Schedule: October 9 Registration (10am-5pm) October 9 Workshop on Grammar for Chinese Education (1:30pm-5pm) October 10 Keynote speeches and paper presentations (all day) Sun Dejin Young Scholar Thesis Award presentations October 11 Paper presentations (morning) Round-table discussion and closing ceremony (afternoon) October 12 Visit the Division of International Education, San Francisco State University (optional)
4. Conference language 会议语言 English or Chinese 英文或中文
5. Abstract Submission 论文摘要格式与提交方式
Two pages in Microsoft Word Format: Page 1 includes the title, 3-4 keywords, and author's name with affiliation, and contact information (includingemail address); Page 2 includes the title but must be anonymous to ensure unbiased reviews. It is expected to be succinct, covering the main arguments, methodology/data analysis and the significance of the paper in no more than 500 words in either Chinese or English.
Abstracts can be written in either Chinese or English, with English Times New Roman font (size 12) or Chinese Song font (size small 4) in single space;
For convenience’s sake, use this format to identify the author of the abstract on page 1, “IFOLCE6-author-affiliation.” For example: IFOLCE6-赵杨-北京大学
IFOLCE6-Lening Liu-Columbia University 4. Each person is allowed to submit no more than one single-authored or first-authored abstract in addition to one joint-authored abstract. 5. All abstracts should be submitted by email to email@example.com. This is the only address for the organizers to receive abstract proposals.
1. 使用 Microsoft Word 文档，分两部分： （1）第一页为摘要的题目、3-4 个关键词、作者姓名、工作或学习单位以及联系方式（含电子邮件地址）； （2）从第二页起为摘要正文（含题目），中英文摘要均不可超过500词（不包括参考文献）。摘要应简明扼要、说明文章论 点、研究方法和意义。需完全匿名，以便盲审。 2. 英文摘要请使用标准 Times New Roman 字体，12 号字；中文摘要请使用宋体小四号字；单倍行距。 3. 提交的摘要文件，请用下面的格式命名，以方便处理：“IFOLCE6 -作者姓名-单位” 例如：IFOLCE6-赵杨-北京大学 IFOLCE6-Lening Liu-Columbia University 4. 每人作为独立作者或第一作者只可提交一篇论文摘要，同时还可作为非第一作者合作提交另一篇摘要。 5. 请以电子邮件附件方式发至 firstname.lastname@example.org，本届论坛不接受其他方式的投稿。 6. Important Dates 重要日期 Deadline for receipt of the abstracts: May 1st, 2020 Notification of abstract review results: June 1st, 2020
论文摘要提交截止日期：2020 年 5月 1日 论文接受电邮通知：2020年 6月 1日
7. Registration, Expenses and Lodging 参会注册、费用及餐饮、住宿 1. Other than conference presenters, non-presenters are welcome to participate in the conference. Registration information will be announced in the second circular. 2. Registration fee: US$120. The special rate for members of CLTAC is $90 in recognition of the Association’s sponsorship. Full-time student rate is US$60. Participation of the workshop on the afternoon of October 9 is free, although the participants are expected to sign up in advance. No refund is possible after receipt of the registration fee. 3. Registration fee will include two lunches (on October 10 and 11), dinner on October 10, and coffee/tea throughout the forum. 4. Lodging information around the campus will be provided in the second circular. Participants must arrange lodging on their own.
8. Sun Dejin Young Scholar Theses Award (SYSTA) 孙德金青年优秀论文奖 This award is first offered as an encouragement to young scholars who wish to devote themselves to a career in teaching Chinese as a second language, a field in which Dr. Dejin Sun was especially interested in, and to which he has made numerous important contributions. The award is an annual prize in the amount of US$ 200, donated by the founding members of IFOLCE. On the recommendation of the review committee after reviewing all the SYSTA submissions, a maximum of three finalists will be invited to present their papers in the special SYSTA session at the forum. Two nights of local lodging will be provided to these three finalists (one recipient for each paper) by the organizer free of charge, although the finalists must notify the organizer of their travel plan in a timely manner as is required. 1. Eligibility: (1) The applicant must be 45 years of age (or younger) in the year of the forum. (2)The applicant need not have a Ph.D. degree. But for those with a Ph.D. degree, the year of the forum must be within 6 years of the receipt of the degree. 2. An applicant must submit an abstract of the thesis before March 27. Once the thesis is accepted to be a finalist, the full paper must be submitted before May 27. The paper must be no more than 20 pages (single space) in length and formatted in APA, MLA or LSA style or the styles of other Chinese core academic journals in Chinese linguistics or language acquisition. The first line of the thesis should be written “孙德金青年优秀论文奖参评论文.” The thesis must be original and has not been published. 3. Priority will be given to those who have not been honored by this Award before. 4. A maximum of three finalists will be anonymously reviewed and selected by the review committee, and the thesis must be presented at the special session of the annual forum.
9. IFOLCE-6 Committee (alphabetical order) 本届论坛召集人（按姓氏音序排列） 李智强 Li, Zhiqiang, University of San Francisco, President of CLTAC 旧金山大学/加州中文教师协会 刘美君 Liu, Mei-chun, City University of Hong Kong 香港城市大学 孙朝奋 Sun, Chaofen, Stanford University 斯坦福大学 唐 乐 Tang, Le Singleton, Stanford University 斯坦福大学
10. IFOLCE Organizing Committee (alphabetical order) “语言学与汉语教学国际论坛”组委会成员 （按姓氏音序排列） 周质平 Chou, Chih-Ping, Princeton University 普林斯顿大学 储诚志 Chu, Chengzhi, University of California, Davis 加州大学戴维斯分校 崔希亮 Cui, Xiliang, Beijing Language and Culture University 北京语言大学 刘乐宁 Liu, Lening, Columbia University 哥伦比亚大学 刘美君 Liu, Mei-Chun, City University of Hong Kong 香港城市大学 孙朝奋 Sun, Chaofen, Stanford University 斯坦福大学 赵 杨 Zhao, Yang, Peking University 北京大学 朱永平 Zhu, Yongping, University of Notre Dame 圣母大学